CH叉R

Every Sunday, The New Paper will feature a new restaurant and do a food review on it. On one particular week, the news feature was on Char. My dad saw it and being the carnivorous man he is, he was immediately attracted to the picture of char siew and wanted to try the restaurant out. 

Char; opened about two months back, is a casual restaurant that serves ang moh style roasted meats and other chinese dishes like steam seabass and stir-fried belacan kangkong. Its basically an upscale chinese zhi char restaurant that has a western twist. 

Their star dish - the "almost black" char siew, was the main reason why we decided to try this place out today.






I like the decor of the place. It certainly has an interesting twist of Asian and western style with the black chalkboard and Asian women art pieces.








We ordered their signature Char Siew ($5 per 100g, with a minimum of 300g), Roasted duck (1/4 duck $14) and Roast Crispy pork belly ($5 per 100g, with a minimum of 300g). Think my dad didn't see the menu properly cos he was pretty insistent on ordering individual servings of the roasted meat (bet he only saw the  $5). They do serve a duo and trio combination serving of roasted meat in a smaller portion at a cheaper price, so personally I would advice people to get the combination rather than individual servings unless you're heading there in a big group.

I understand why the Char Siew was their signature dish. It's superrr awesome! The meat has a layer of fat that is just right and not overwhelming and it is super tender. The black sweet sauce plus the fatty but not too fatty meat just go so well  together.

The rest of the roasted meat just sort of fell short compared to the Char Siew. Personally I thought the duck was a little to tough. I like that they serve mustard together with the pork belly. I just have this thing for "wasabi-tasting" mustard, which by the way should be how mustard taste like. Those sweet mustard is not the real deal, fyi.

Aun mentioned that his granny's signature Char Siew is also black in color and looks similar to Char's. 
Certainly hope his granny will make them soon!  Cos I believe it'll be equally yummy! (:

393 Guillemard Road Singapore 399790
T: 6842 7759
Tues-Sun:
11.30am - 2.30pm
6pm - 10pm
Closed on Mondays

Found a cool spot at the back alley and got momma to help me take a couple of #ootd shots. This just prove to show that you can take pictures anywhere, even at the most unconventional places.







 Yes, in case you're wondering, those are pineapple earrings!


Succumbed to the trend and bought this pair of lace shorts. Actually, I've been eyeing it for awhile already but never had the time to hunt for it. Got it for less than $15 today. SCORE!! Can wait to wear it out for date night ;)

The weekend is coming to an end, sadly. 
Ever since I've started working, the only think I look forward to every single week is the weekends. I've been falling behind at work with a huge load of responsibilities and it is kinda stressing me out. I hate that I'm so slow with my work. So much for being able to multi-task, really. It's definitely a steep learning curve. But I am not a quitter. And I do believe that things will get better in time to come. 


I CAN DO THIS!!


xx 
fee


2 comments:

  1. where did u get those runner shorts from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I got them at City Plaza, paya lebar! (:

      Delete

 

ABOUT ME

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
― Mae West


FIONA TAN
Singapore

Wanderluster. Thrill seeker.
Vintage Hunter. Dreamer
Hello there! My name is Fiona.
Welcome to Summermuseee, a blog that is really about nothing and everything; random snippets of my life, my DIY crafts and baking adventures and my journey to loving myself and appreciate the little finer things in life.


INSTAGRAM



Follow me on Instagram @Summermuse

AD