Dog Days are Over




*brushing the cobwebs off my blog*

Hello folks!!

It's been awhile! A really, really long while! I know I'm the worst person when it comes to updating my blog. Actually, I have so much to say, about the past few months, and what I've been doing. I have all these words crafted in my head how I would like to pen them down, but as soon as I open up blogger and start on a 'new post', blank. Nothing comes up in my mind. BLANK. And then I become lazy, coming up with tons of excuses - I shall wait for all the photos to be ready, before sharing it ; aiya my trial photoshop software expired already, cannot edit my photos, etc etc. Excuses, really. 

As I'm flying 1000000 ft above the ground enroute to the land of Dim Sum, I figured that I should really start writing again. At least that was something I really liked to do in the past, so I shouldn't stop now, right? (; 

Most people would now know that finally after two years, I've decided to leave my job as a PR Account Executive. For many, it came as a surprise as "I looked happy at work". I must remind them social media is a platform that we will never show our grievances (I mean come on, who post photos of themselves unhappy on social media, really?) and that I'm generally a happy person. No, I'm not kidding nor am I praising myself. Ask any of my friends/colleagues and they will say the same. I'm a happy kid. Haha. 

Honestly, I do applaud myself for being able to survive in the agency world for two years. Many times I've wished to throw in the towel and just give up, being so frustrated at myself for making silly mistakes or if I hit a road block, but I remind myself that it's all about the experiences and that what doesn't kill me will only make me stronger. Of course, it helped that i have really nurturing and patient colleagues who are willing to guide me through the ins and out of Public Relations, and on top of that, really supportive parents. I won't say I have grasped ALL about PR, but having been in the industry for two years had taught me aplenty.

So why did I leave? 

Short Story: I want to try something different (a.k.a preferably Client side).

Long Story: Everything fell into place at the right time. I was handling three accounts at that time; MFLG, Logitech, and Scripps Networks. MFLG's contract was coming to an end in Dec 2015, and I was supposed to handover the Logitech account back to my colleague in Dec 2015. Considering I will only have to do a proper handover for one account, I know that this is my window to submit my resignation letter. Furthermore, I know for a fact that I won't have a promotion within the next 6 months if I chose to stay, which would've been very unfair for me.

I've know since the start of poly that Marketing is the route I want to go, and I always feel that I need to be an all-rounder to be a good marketer. Having already grasped the understanding of how PR works, I want to try something different next. Perhaps advertising? Content Creation? Perhaps social media management? I want to challenge myself to try something else and that, folks, is really the reason why I left. 

Many assumed that the reason was because of a certain superior. Everyone has eyes and ears to see what goes on in the office, so I won't play coy here. But the truth is that, with or without the superior, I would have left the company for the same reason. 

It has been close to two months since I left, and I've never been more happy! I'm unemployed now, but really happy. Many told me that I'm so brave, jumping into the unknown like that without thinking of my next steps, especially since the job market is so bad. I've been waiting for this moment for two years already, so I'd say cut me some slack please. Haha. I jumped right into my first full time job after I graduated without giving myself a break, so I would say this is my well-deserved break more than anything else. 

What have I been doing the past two months? 

Eat. Drink. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

Nah, just kidding. 

For the month of January, I was fully focused on my room renovation and prep for Chinese New Year (which involves me running errands and doing house chores almost everyday, for what I don't exactly know really because my family 'escaped' to Genting Highlands for the first three days of CNY hahaha). 

Oh yes! Room renovation. That's another story to share! My, this is getting lengthy, ain't it. Haha. So, my family car will be turning 10 years old this year, and we've collectively agreed to scrape it. With the spare cash, my mom decided I should have a total room makeover. This means, finally after 25 years, there will be no more pink and blue cupboards and animal printed headrest (y'know that spongy thing at the side of the bed to ensure that as a child, you wouldn't knock your head against the wall? Yes, I have lived with that all my life haha). Now before you assumed that I'm such a spoiled child, asking for a room renovation at this age, I did told my mum that it will be 'bo hua' to have the room renovation now, cos if I were to get married in the next five years (not likely but what are the odds right?), the renovated room will be a waste. Plus, I was perfectly happy with my old room. My mum justified that if I choose to move out one day, they can always rent the room out. Naturally, I'm in love with my new room, it is afterall customised to the designs I wanted. I shall leave the photos of my rooms and the overall cost to another time! (: 

I worked part-time at events here and there to make some extra cash. A myriad of odd jobs really - I was an event photographer for one, an emcee for another and my best event to date this year, is being part of the stage hands crew for Far East Organization's Dinner & Dance. I got to watch Kool & the Gang and Jolin Tsai perform live backstage and met some of the cutest girls. Maybe I'm being too confident, and perhaps some day this might bite me in my ass, but I was never once worried about being umemployed for too long. Firstly, I'm resourceful, the minute I left my job, I started securing myself part-time jobs to sustain the next few months. Secondly, with my credentials, I'm pretty confident that I can beat the unemployment haze! All I need now is just set up my LinkedIn account and update my resume... Haha 

I've been doing a lot of cooking too, recently. That too, is a story for another day! (; 

March will be a Eat Pray Love month for me. As soon as this post goes live, it means that I am in Hong Kong, and will be there for the next six days. I'm planning to hike as much as I can, and eat as many dim sum as I can whilst in HK. I'll be traveling to Da Nang, Vietnam, ends-March with Sam and I'm really looking forward to stuffing all the pho I could in my face. Oh, and the beaches too. 

Fun times ahead! 

Look forward to LOADS of backlogged posts (photos mostly, y'know the drill) in the next few weeks. 

Till the next time! 



With Love, 
Fee ❤️


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

ABOUT ME

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
― Mae West


FIONA TAN
Singapore

Wanderluster. Thrill seeker.
Vintage Hunter. Dreamer
Hello there! My name is Fiona.
Welcome to Summermuseee, a blog that is really about nothing and everything; random snippets of my life, my DIY crafts and baking adventures and my journey to loving myself and appreciate the little finer things in life.


INSTAGRAM



Follow me on Instagram @Summermuse

AD