Advanced Happy Mama Day!


My family decided to celebrate Mothers' Day in advance because both my dad and I will be busy over the weekends. Plus celebrating in advance does have its advantage (namely the crowd).

Mum wanted to go to a restaurant that serves fresh oysters and seafood along Clarke Quay, so after some googling, we decided on Fremantle Seafood Market. 

We ordered their Hearty seafood platter ($88) that consist of 6 Oysters, Alaskan King Crab Legs, 4 types of Sashimi and 4 seafood tapas. Honestly, for that price, I imagined the platter to be... fuller. I see more ice than food. Nonetheless, the seafood's fresh. I wouldn't go for a second time unless it's for their happy hour thou. 






 





Anyway the highlight of night was this cake I baked for my mum. It's a blueberry lemon cake with lemon curd topped with fresh blueberries. I am no domestic queen, but I do try my best haha. I usually do my research on www.tastespotting.com and I chanced upon this lemon meringue cupcake recipe by a contestant of Junior Masterchef. Apparently, Isabella (the contestant) won some mystery box challenge with that recipe. Since it's a winning recipe, no harm trying it right?

It was surprisingly easy to make and the recipe calls for only a few key ingredients - Eggs, lemons and blueberry. Following is the recipe which i got from Materchef (http://www.masterchef.com.au/recipes/lemon-meringue-cup-cakes.htm) with a little improvisation on my own; instead of cupcakes I made it into a cake, ridding of the meringues and adding blueberries inside the batter: 


Blueberry Lemon Cake with Lemon Curd topped with Blueberries 

Cake ( 7 inch aluminium round tray x 2)

  • 1 cuppure cream
  • 1 cupsugar
  • 2eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 1/2 cupsself raising flour
  • Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
  • Blueberries
If you're out of Self raising flour, you can always use 1.5 cups of All purpose flour plus 2 Teaspoon of Baking Powder and a pinch of salt as substitute. Works the same. 


Lemon curd

  • 1/2 cuplemon juice (about 2 lemons)
  • 100gbutter
  • 1/2 cupsugar
  • 3egg yolks
  • Zest of 1 lemon




Method: 
(Cake)
1. Preheat oven to 180′C.

2. Place cream, sugar and eggs in a large mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Gradually add flour and zest and continue whisking until mixture is thick and smooth. Fold in half of the blueberries and keep the remaining half for decoration.
3. Divide mixture into two 7 inch aluminium round tray and bake for 15-20 minutes. For myself, I managed to bake 10 mini cupcakes on top of the 2 cakes and I baked mines for 17 minutes. Leave cake to be completely cooled off.
(Lemon Curd)
1. Add 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice to a saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. 

2. In another bowl, combine the egg yolks with the remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Slowly add the hot lemon juice mixture into the egg yolk mixture, whisking continuously. When fully combined, return the mixture to the saucepan and continue to cook over medium heat until the whisk leaves a trail in the curd. Whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter until melted and smooth.
3. Remove from heat and pass through a mesh strainer set over a bowl to remove the zest and any egg clumps. Place plastic wrap directly on top of the curd and let set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.
To serve, sandwich both layer of cake with lemon curd and spread the remaining lemon curd on top of the top layer and decorate the remaining blueberries on top of the lemon curd. 

Aaaaaand Tadaa! A simple cake is served. The outlook could have been better if I trimmed the layers properly but it still taste good anyway. Most importantly, my mum loves it. So if you're still wondering what to do for Mothers' Day (two more days for you to prepare!!), why not bake her a lemon blueberry cake? :)

Cheers!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

ABOUT ME

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
― Mae West


FIONA TAN
Singapore

Wanderluster. Thrill seeker.
Vintage Hunter. Dreamer
Hello there! My name is Fiona.
Welcome to Summermuseee, a blog that is really about nothing and everything; random snippets of my life, my DIY crafts and baking adventures and my journey to loving myself and appreciate the little finer things in life.


INSTAGRAM



Follow me on Instagram @Summermuse

AD