When the tough gets going, press on.



If I thought a certain day at work was the worst day of my life, I obviously did not see it coming for this week. I'm usually a very positive person. My logic is; however bad a day can be, just suck it up, reflect on the learning points from it, and the next day will be better. It will be better.

This week was definitely a trying week for me. Those bad days I had previously, this week really took the cake. And I was brimming with hope on Monday that my day/week will start right, because I was catching up with my work. 

They certainly weren't kidding when they say that working in an agency will be a steep learning curve. And they certainly weren't kidding about how some media can be a diva. What I've gone through this week just shows that things should always be taken with a pinch of salt and that in all case, especially when handling with media, tread. with. care. Or risk getting slapped in the face the next moment. 

I guess I can go on with this and say that it's this and that's fault blah blah blah but in all honesty, while it could be this and that's fault, ultimately it is also my fault for not being thorough, for not clarifying enough to make sure everything is crystal clear. You know how people will always advise you to cover your own backside when you're doing anything, this is exactly the same advise I will give to anyone who ask. Always put everything in black and white and in all case, cover your own backside. 

Felt like I could really relate to the above quote.You see, I treat each mistake I make as a valuable lesson. For all these lessons will make me stronger. 

The other day my GM called all the associates in and asked us this question "What do you think your role as an associate is?". And then he proceed to tell us that he would like us to speak up more, especially during meetings with our clients. "Listen to Me". He wants us to bring in this three words to each meeting, to be in control in the meeting such that the clients will remember us and not our manager. He said in his ideal world, people will remember my company because of us and not because of him. 

"Fear will cripple you. You should never be afraid to speak up. You should never let the role of seniority stop you from speaking your mind." 

This really left an impact on me. While of course he doesn't mean for us to turn against our immediate boss, I get where he is coming from with us speaking out more. He is a good boss, my GM. If you think about it, he's humble and he genuinely want us to grow. This is the type of boss anyone should have I feel, to not let hierarchy hinder oneself.  

Another thing that I learned this week is, to never bring my work back home. This is something I learnt from my dad. He always say, even if its a bad day at work, never ever bring it back home and vent it on your loved ones. For they do not deserve the wrath of something that is not related to them. It was something I reflected for the past few weeks I've been quite the terror, especially to my mum, who was innocuously just trying to know how am I coping at work. 

Seems like this week is a pack full week of life/work lessons. 
Ah well, so be it. 
I'll build a castle someday!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

ABOUT ME

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
― Mae West


FIONA TAN
Singapore

Wanderluster. Thrill seeker.
Vintage Hunter. Dreamer
Hello there! My name is Fiona.
Welcome to Summermuseee, a blog that is really about nothing and everything; random snippets of my life, my DIY crafts and baking adventures and my journey to loving myself and appreciate the little finer things in life.


INSTAGRAM



Follow me on Instagram @Summermuse

AD